Saturday, January 10, 2009

My next epic ride

In a few weeks I'll be "home alone" (wife and kids will be away) so I'm planning an all-day epic mountain bike trip up to the Santa Ana River Trail in the San Bernardino mountains. It's a 30-mile ride with about 28-miles of singletrack through the woods, giving me about 6,000' of total climbing! Starting at about 5,000' of elevation and running to about 6,500' at the highest point, it should give my sea-level lungs a good run. I've never ridden the SART (Santa Ana River Trail) before, but it comes highly recommended by some guys at the local bike shop (Bike Bling) and by Mountain Bike Bill. My biggest question is whether or not to hit it singlespeed... :-) I've been SS-ing for about 6 weeks now, but I haven't tackled that kind of distance or elevation gain in a SS setup yet; I'm not sure how the ol' legs will hold up yet. I have an 18-tooth cog on my standard cassette, so I think I may go with a 32-tooth chainring in a 1x9 setup just in case. (I'd feel horrible if I held up my riding buddies on the day of the "epic".)

So, here are some stats, courtesy of Mountain Bike Bill


Elevation profile

TOPO! map (1.8mb)

1 comment:

  1. Tough choice on the gearing, but the 1x9 might be the safe option. No matter what, it sounds like a great day of riding coming up for you.

    ReplyDelete