Friday, February 6, 2009

Tires, tires, tires...

I'm a huge fan of Maxxis tires... I have used the Ignitors, the High Rollers and now the CrossMark. (All UST and about 2.1 - 2.3.) Recently I tried the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs and noticed a HUGE improvement in rolling resistance from the High Rollers (duh!) but never got comfortable with the way they cornered. I tried several different PSI settings to see if that was it, but invariably I always felt like the front would lose traction in the turns unless there was either a) a bank to the turn or b) the trail was just a tad damp or at least hardpack. Riding in SoCal is often on decomposed granite or semi sandy, loose-over-hard and rarely that sweet, packed down, just a touch moist singletrack. I think the tires are designed for the latter because I never had any confidence on them. In their defense, no tire I've ever ridden has as little rolling resistance, weighs as little or feels as supple. But if you can't corner or don't have confidence,  none of it matters because you're not as fast and the ride isn't as much fun.

Enter the Maxxis CrossMark UST 2.25 - holy @#$^!! What can I say but "exactly what I was looking for!" The CrossMark are perfect for the SoCal trail conditions. They have a single enter ridge for rolling fast and aggressive nobbies on the edges for cornering like you're on rails. They're a little heavier at 850gr each, but the fact that I can scream up and down the mountain with confidence more than makes up for the weight savings of the Racing Ralphs. I think they have a tad more rolling resistance than the RR and they're not quite as supple, but you really don't miss it. Honestly, I feel as though I have the best parts of the High Roller without the weight or rolling resistance penalties. And as for the Ignitors, I think the CrossMark corner better, climb better and roll easier.

So, hats off to Maxxis for my new favorite tire!!  

1 comment:

  1. Good tires are so hard to come by, it seems--thanks for the review on these!

    ReplyDelete