Friday, February 6, 2009

Fox Talas: 36 or 32 Q15?

I have a dilemma... I own a 2009 Talas 36 RC2 and friggin' love it! However, when I caught the SS bug I converted it to a SS. Now I have an odd mix: AM up front and XC SS in the back.

Pros: It rides awesome, I can change the travel to 100mm and climb like a donkey, I can change the travel to 160mm and descend like a banshee, it's super stiff and supple for little bumps and I never have to worry about breaking it or bottoming out.

Cons: 1lb heavier than the 32 version, no lockout for long technical climbs. 

I'm a 185lb rider and I love to take my SS everywhere from flatland pace rides to steep technical climbs to swwet SoCal singletrack downhill runs. I will probably be getting back into the race circuit later this year, too (but just for kicks... not too competitive). My dilemma is that while I don't want to give up what I love about the 36, I think I may benefit from the weight savings and the lockout of the 150 32 RLC QR15. I get enough out of the 36 to make the swap with nothing out of pocket, but I don't want to commit to the 32 only to find that the 36 is really my pick.

Got an opinion? I only have one mountain bike and I love riding aggressive and fast. I am afraid that I'll really miss the 36, but I'm enticed by the potential advantages of a lighter fork with a lockout.

No comments:

Post a Comment